Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I am soon to be doing up my bathroom. I want to get rid of the old bath and just have a shower, but I'm not

sure that the bath will fit through the door. I think it might have been put there when the bathroom extension was originally built. Do I just have to smash it up and how would I do this? The bathroom is a single storey extension and it needs a new roof as well so should the bath be lifted out that way? All replies appreciated thanks.I am soon to be doing up my bathroom. I want to get rid of the old bath and just have a shower, but I'm not
Getting the tub out of the current space will be the major problem. Cast iron tubs can be broken with a sledge hammer but be aware the flying debris is dangerous. Plastic tubs can be cut with a Sawzall. If you are in the U.S., shower draijns are required to be 2'; while tub drains are 1-1/2'; so you will need to address this before installing the shower.I am soon to be doing up my bathroom. I want to get rid of the old bath and just have a shower, but I'm not
if it is a fiberglass tub/shower unit you will have to cut it up to get it out. and to get a new shower back in you will need to purchase a 3 piece unit or tile every thing. remember that a tub has a 1 1/2 drain a shower as a 2 inch drain line.
It must have been able to fit to get it in in the first place. We replaced our bath with a shower and at times we have regretted doing so.
Most baths are about 19';high , you can measure from the floor up to the top and add for both flooring thickness and possible tile flange on top (3/4';)...Most bath doors are 28'; or 30'; so you should not have a problem.The biggest problem is lifting the tub from between the walls where it now sits....have fun!!!
Depending on what the tub is made of you may be able to break it up and take it out piece by piece. Even if it is cast iron you can smash it with a sledge hammer. Taking it out in pieces is the easiest if possible but if you turn it sideways it should fit through any door frame.
If it is a cast iron tub , might just bash the hell out of it w/ a sledge.


The porcelain %26amp; metal splinters are razor sharp %26amp; will fly.


Once drain %26amp; water supplies were disconnected , it took about an hour to break it up alone %26amp; haul out the pieces from a ground floor bathroom.


Intact, a cast tub has got to weigh over 200 lbs.


Unless you have lots of help , might be safer to break it up.


Best regards
Your doors would ordinarily be 32'; wide..If you stand the old tub on it's side..it will go thru most doorways..Measure it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment